This is a great recipe for root vegetables. Peel rutabagas, turnips with tough skins before broiling.
Yield: Serves 4-5 people
Time: 25 minutes
1 lb boneless bite sized chicken strips, tilapia fillets or 16 oz
1 large yam or 2 cups of cauliflower, cut into ½-¼” thick slices
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
2-4 cloves of crushed garlic
¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
Chef’s knife; cutting board; large bowl; measuring spoons; garlic press; baking sheet; parchment paper; metal spatula.
- Preheat broiler to low or 500 degrees F.
- Place sliced vegetables, meat or tofu in a large bowl and add olive oil, seasonings, garlic and salt.
- Toss ingredients with your hands until the pieces are evenly coated.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place food in a single layer.
- Put the sheet in the broiler and set a timer for 10 minutes. The pieces of food will be slightly brown when they are ready to eat.
- Substitute the vegetables with carrots, zucchini, summer squash, winter squash, parsnips or white potato.
- Green beans and asparagus can also be broiled whole, but may cook before the other ingredients are done. Check the oven after 8 minutes and remove them from the pan when they are done. Finish cooking the remaining ingredients as needed.
- Substitute the spices with Italian seasoning, curry powder or other favorite seasoning blends.