Copyright Ilah Jarvis 2019. You may make copies of this pattern only for personal use.
One size fits most: Mitts are 7” long including ribbing and 8” in circumference at the wrist in stranded stockinette .
Yarn: 25 grams of a dark brown (A) and 15 grams each of light yellow (B), medium red, (C) and dark blue (D) in sport weight yarn.
(Always choose whatever needle size you need to get the gauge)
US #3/3.25mm double pointed needles for ribbing
US #4/3.5mm double pointed needles for the body of the glove
One distinctive stitch marker for the beginning of a row
Tapestry needle to weave in ends
22 sts/26 rows = 4 inches square St st after blocking
A (light yellow yarn)
B (dark gray yarn)
C (medium red color yarn)
D (dark blue yarn)
CC (contrasting color),
CO (cast on)
M1 (make 1)
St st (stockinette stitch)
- Remember to spread out your newly knitted stitches on your right needle to ensure that the floats are long enough.
- You can knit these gloves with a 9” cable, or a longer cable needle (32” or more) and use the magic loop method if you don’t like double pointed needles. You may, however still need double pointed needles to knit the ribbing on the thumb.
- Place the front and back left hand motifs side by side so incs face the outside edges.
Directions for Left Hand Mitt
Co 44 sts in A using long tail with the size 3 circular needles. Connect into the rnd and place a distinctive marker at the beginning of the row.
Rnd 1: *K2, p2; rep from * to end of row.
Rep for 10 rows. (44)
4. Switch to size 4 needles. Work the Diamond Motif with B as the background and D for the diamonds. The mitt will have 11 repeats of the motif. (44)
5. Work the Hen Motif Back Left Hand and Hen Motif Front Left Hand, with A as the background and C for the hens and CC. Place markers after the 4th and 48th Sts (the black sections) to note increases, always increasing after the first marker and before the second marker.
Create Thumb Section
6. Separate the thumb section from the main portion of the hand. This is the first 9 stitches and the last 8 stitches of the rnd. Place the sts of the hand portion on waste yarn with a tapestry needle and the thumb sts on double pointed needles.
7. K2, P2 until you reach the separation between the thumb and the hand. Cast on three stitches. P1 and *K2, P2; rep from * to end of row. (20).
8. *K2, P2; rep from * to end of row. Continue for 6 rounds.
9. Bind off thumb portion,
Finish Left Hand Portion
9. Place hand portion on double pointed needles. With B as the background start the first row of the Diamond Motif, thumb casting on 1 stitch. When you reach the divided section, thus connecting the front and back of the hand. (40)
10. Work the rest of Diamond Motif with B as the Background and D for the diamonds. There will be 10 rep of the Diamond Motif.
11. K one row in A.
12. Switch to size 3 needles and *K2, P2; rep from * to end of rnd. Continue for 6 rounds
13. Bind off and use the ends to sew up the hole between the thumb and the hand. Weave in all remaining ends.
Directions For Right Hand Mitt
14. Repeat instructions for the right mitt, but use the motifs for the right hand instead of the left.
Create Thumb Section
15. When separating the thumb for the second hand (step 7.) put first 8 stitches and the last 9 stitches of the rnd on double pointed needles. For the following row, K2, P2 until you reach the separation between the thumb and the hand. Cast on three stitches. *K2, P2; rep from * to end of row. (20). Bind off and weave in ends.
Finish Right Hand Portion
16. Finish remaining instructions for the Left Hand Portion. Bind off and weave in ends.