Yield: 1 loaf of bread, serves about 8 Time Required: 45 minutes
While it may seem odd to add nuts to cornbread, the protein and oil in the nuts add structure and moisture to this gluten-free recipe. This bread is delicious with jam or as a side for Middle Eastern Lentil Soup.
1 cup corn flour
½ cup rice flour
½ cup almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1/3 cup of water
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted in the microwave in a small bowl for 1 minute,
2 tablespoons of honey
Measuring cup, measuring spoons, large bowl, medium sized bowl, small ceramic bowl, large spoon, wire whisk, bread or cake pan
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In the large bowl combine all dry ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.
- Place the coconut oil in a small ceramic bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds. Heat longer if necessary.
- In a medium bowl combine all wet ingredients and whisk until evenly mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until they are fully incorporated.
- Rub 1 tablespoon of coconut oil evenly on the inside of the baking pan with your fingers.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make corn muffins, pour the batter into parchment paper lined muffin tins until halfway full and bake for 30 minutes, or until or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- This bread can be made in a small oiled cast iron pan.